Bao, EL, Chystsiakova, A, Brahmajothi, MV, Sunday, ME, Pavlisko, EN, Wempe, MF, and Auten, RL. "Bronchopulmonary dysplasia impairs L-type amino acid transporter-1 expression in human and baboon lung." Pediatric pulmonology 51, no. 10 (October 2016): 1048-1056Oxygen (O2) is essential for life, but excessive oxygen causes tissue injury, scarring, aging, and death. We are studying mechanisms of injury mediated by O2-sensing pulmonary neuroendocrine cells, especially gastrin-releasing peptide (GRP). GRP secretion is induced by O2-related (oxidant) injury, leading to acute and chronic lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis (PF). Our key model is PF due to ionizing radiation to the thorax. This is clinically relevant to PF triggered by many environmental exposures or autoimmune diseases, as well as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). There is no cure for PF. We seek to reverse fibrotic responses in lung.
- Lugogo, N, Francisco, D, Addison, KJ, Manne, A, Pederson, W, Ingram, JL, Green, CL, Suratt, BT, Lee, JJ, Sunday, ME, Kraft, M, and Ledford, JG. "Obese asthmatic patients have decreased surfactant protein A levels: Mechanisms and implications." The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 141, no. 3 (March 2018): 918-926.e3
- Mathews, JA, Krishnamoorthy, N, Kasahara, DI, Hutchinson, J, Cho, Y, Brand, JD, Williams, AS, Wurmbrand, AP, Ribeiro, L, Cuttitta, F, Sunday, ME, Levy, BD, and Shore, SA. "Augmented Responses to Ozone in Obese Mice Require IL-17A and Gastrin-releasing Peptide." American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology (September 28, 2017)
- Bao, EL, Chystsiakova, A, Brahmajothi, MV, Sunday, ME, Pavlisko, EN, Wempe, MF, and Auten, RL. "Bronchopulmonary dysplasia impairs L-type amino acid transporter-1 expression in human and baboon lung." Pediatric pulmonology 51, no. 10 (October 2016): 1048-1056
- Ingram, JL, Slade, D, Church, TD, Francisco, D, Heck, K, Sigmon, RW, Ghio, M, Murillo, A, Firszt, R, Lugogo, NL, Que, L, Sunday, ME, and Kraft, M. "Role of Matrix Metalloproteinases-1 and -2 in Interleukin-13-Suppressed Elastin in Airway Fibroblasts in Asthma." American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology 54, no. 1 (January 2016): 41-50
- Ledford, JG, Goto, H, Potts, EN, Degan, S, Wei Chu, H, Voelker, DR, Sunday, ME, Cianciolo, GJ, Foster, WM, Kraft, M, and Wright, JR. "Correction: SP-A Preserves Airway Homeostasis during Mycoplasma pneumoniae Infection in Mice." Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950)195, no. 6 (September 2015): 2917-2918