Assistant Professor of Immunology
Our laboratory studies mechanisms of hemostasis.
This work led to the development of a cell-based model of coagulation that is more physiologically relevant than the earlier "cascade” model. We have used cell-based conceptual and experimental models to understand mechanisms by which drugs can enhance hemostasis and prevent thrombosis, with a goal of designing better therapeutic strategies. In addition, we are studying how products of the coagulation process influence inflammatory/immune responses, angiogenesis and tissue repair.
- Hoffman, M. "Cell-mediated hemostasis." In Trauma Induced Coagulopathy, 3-14. January 1, 2016
- Nandi, S, Sproul, EP, Sommerville, L, III, MDM, Hoffman, MR, and Brown, AC. "Platelet-Like-Particles Mediate Matrix Properties to Promote Cell Migration in a Hemophilia Wound Healing Model." December 2017
- Sarich, TC, Seltzer, JH, Berkowitz, SD, Costin', J, Curnutte, JT, Gibson, CM, Hoffman, M, Kaminskas, E, Krucoff, MW, Levy, JH, Mintz, PD, Reilly, PA, Sager, PT, Singer, DE, Stockbridge, N, Weitz, JI, and Kowey, PR. "Novel oral anticoagulants and reversal agents: Considerations for clinical development." June 1, 2015
- Sung, AD, Yen, R, Deoliveira, D, Jiao, Y, Piryani, S, Bernanke, A, Hall, S, Klemp, K, Yun, S, Arepally, G, Hoffman, MR, Ortel, TL, Chao, NJ, and Chen, BJ. "Fibrinogen-Coated Nanospheres Prevent Thrombocytopenia-Related Bleeding." February 2015
- Hoffman, M, and Monroe, DM. "Impact of Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants From a Basic Science Perspective." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 37, no. 10 (October 2017): 1812-1818
- Sun, J, Hua, B, Livingston, EW, Taves, S, Johansen, PB, Hoffman, M, Ezban, M, Monroe, DM, Bateman, TA, and Monahan, PE. "Abnormal joint and bone wound healing in hemophilia mice is improved by extending factor IX activity after hemarthrosis." Blood 129, no. 15 (April 2017): 2161-2171
- Ahmadzia, HK, Lockhart, EL, Thomas, SM, Welsby, IJ, Hoffman, MR, James, AH, Murtha, AP, Swamy, GK, and Grotegut, CA. "Using antifibrinolytics in the peripartum period - concern for a hypercoagulable effect?." Journal of neonatal-perinatal medicine 10, no. 1 (January 2017): 1-7
- Stephen, C, Nicolas, I, and The, CILDG. "A Summary of The 6th International Conference on Coagulation in Liver Disease: Discussion, Debate, Deliberations." Annals of hepatology 16, no. 1 (January 2017): 12-15
- Ansell, JE, Laulicht, BE, Bakhru, SH, Hoffman, M, Steiner, SS, and Costin, JC. "Ciraparantag safely and completely reverses the anticoagulant effects of low molecular weight heparin." Thrombosis research 146 (October 2016): 113-118
- Guinn, NR, Waldron, NH, Cooter, ML, Goldberg, CL, Kertai, MD, Raghunathan, K, Bandarenko, N, Hoffman, M, and Bennett-Guerrero, E. "No association between donor age and recipient outcomes: transfusion of plasma in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery." Transfusion 56, no. 7 (July 2016): 1723-1729
- Hoffman, M, Chang, J-Y, Ezban, M, and Monroe, DM. "An activated factor VII variant with enhanced tissue factor-independent activity speeds wound healing in a mouse hemophilia B model." Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH 14, no. 6 (June 2016): 1249-1254
- Lastrapes, KK, Mohammed, BM, Mazepa, MA, Martin, EJ, Barrett, JC, Massey, GV, Kuhn, JG, Nolte, ME, Hoffman, M, Monroe, DM, and Brophy, DF. "Coated platelets and severe haemophilia A bleeding phenotype: Is there a connection?." Haemophilia : the official journal of the World Federation of Hemophilia 22, no. 1 (January 2016): 148-151
- Mohammed, BM, Contaifer, D, Lastrapes, KK, Martin, EJ, Mazepa, MA, Hoffman, M, Monroe, DM, and Brophy, DF. "Coated platelet assay: a feasible approach to a complicated science." Haemophilia : the official journal of the World Federation of Hemophilia 22, no. 1 (January 2016): e67-e70